Setting up your WAPT development and test environment¶
- it is required to be a Local Administrator of the machine to use WAPT’s integrated environment for developing WAPT packages;
- we advise you to create/ edit packages in a fully controlled environment that is safe and disposable;
- the usage of a disposable virtual machine (like Virtualbox) is recommended;
Make sure that you have your private key stored on the development computer¶
In the WAPT console, the fields private key and prefix must be filled.
Install the tis-pyscripter WAPT package¶
- import the tis-pyscripter package in your local repository and install it on your development computer;
Recommendations regarding the test environment¶
The recommended method to correctly test your WAPT packages is to use a representative sample of machines in your inventory. So the more heterogeneous your installed base of machines, the larger your sample must be.
This method consists of testing the installation of the package on as many plateforms and configurations as possible, so to improve its reliability, before the WAPT package is transfered to production repositories.
Operating systems and architectures¶
- Windows XP;
- Windows 7;
- Windows 10;
- Windows Server 2008 R2;
- Windows Server 2012 and R2;
- Physical and virtual machines;
When possible, RC and Beta version of Operating Systems should be tested (ex: Windows 10 Creators Update).
State of Windows Updates¶
- Microsoft Windows machine without any Windows update installed: the objective is to detect Windows updates that are required for the software to work properly and to adapt the WAPT package accordingly;
- Microsoft Windows machine with all the latest Windows updates: the objective is to detect Windows updates that break the package and to adapt the WAPT package accordingly;
State of software installations¶
- Machines with many installed packages: the objective is to detect a possible dependency with an existing application;
- Machines with many installed packages: the objective is to detect a possible conflict with an existing application;
- Install older versions of the software: it is possible that the software installer does not support uninstalling a previous version of the software, in this case, the WAPT package will have to remove older versions of the software before installing the new version;