Installing WAPT Server on Windows¶
- The WAPT Server can not be installed on a computer with services already listening on ports 80 and 443 (example WSUS with IIS).
- ports 80, 443 and 8080 are used by the WAPT Server and must be available;
- If ports 80 and 443 are already occupied by another web service, you should take a look at the documentation for changing the default ports on Windows.
- port 8088 is used on client machines by the WAPT agent and must be available;
- The WAPT server will not run on a x86 version of Windows;
- The installation of the WAPT server must be done using a Local Administrator account on the host;
From WAPT Server 1.5 onward, Nginx is the ONLY supported web server. Apache or IIS (with or without WSUS) are no longer supported in WAPT.
In case of problems when installing WAPT, visit the Frequently Asked Questions.
- installing WAPT on a Linux server is the recommended method;
- the WAPT Server may be installed on 64bit only Windows 7, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2008/R2, 2012/R2, 2016 and 2019;
- download and execute waptserversetup.exe;
- choose the installation language;
- accept the GNU Public License and click on Next to go on to the next step;
- choose the installation directory (leave the default) and click on Next to go on to the next step;
- choose the installation options for the WAPT Server;
- check Install WAPT service if you want to have the WAPT service running on your Administrator workstation;
- check Launch notification tray upon session opening if you want to have the WAPT icon running in the tray by default;
- click on the Install to launch the installation, wait for the installation to complete, then click on Finish (leave default options);
- check Start notification tray to start WAPT Tray now;
- check Start WAPT Server post-configuration to edit a few post-configuration parameters (see below);
- click on Finished to close the installer;
Post-configuring the Windows WAPT Server¶
- fill in the DNS name of the WAPT Server. The DNS will configure automatically the WAPT Server URL and the WAPT repository URL;
- click on Test DNS name to check the configuration of the DNS;
If there are no DNS field configured for the WAPT Server, the post-configuration wizard will propose to use plain IP addresses instead of a DNS address.
- click on Next to go on to the next step;
- choose the SuperAdmin password for the WAPT Server;
- start the WAPT Server on Windows;
- choose to launch the console with or without the configuration wizard:
Here two choices are available to you, you may let yourself be guided by the configuration wizard and go directly to the documentation on using the WAPT console, or you may choose continue the configuration manually.
Kerberos authentication for initial desktop registration is not available on WAPT Server on Windows. If you require strong authentication for registration, please install a WAPT Server on Linux.
The post-configuration wizard will generate a self-signed certificate. If you prefer, you may install a commercial certificate or a certificate from an internal Certificate Authority.
The WAPT Server on your Windows is ready.
You may go to the documentation on installing the WAPT console!!