Welcome to WAPT’s official documentation by Tranquil IT, last compiled on 2021-10-20.
Click here for a PDF version of the complete documentation.
WAPT is a software and configuration deployment tool that may be compared to Microsoft SCCM (now called MECM), Ivanti UIM, IBM Bigfix, Tanium, OPSI, PDQDeploy, or Matrix42.
WAPT exists in two flavors, WAPT Discovery and WAPT Enterprise.
For System Administrators:
Install software and configurations silently.
Maintain up to date an installed base of software and configurations.
Configure software at the system and user level to reduce the load on support teams.
Remove unwanted or out of cycle software and configurations silently.
Reduce your need for support by your IT teams, whose reaction times are often long because of their workloads.
Reduce as much as possible the consumption of bandwidth on remote sites to preserve it for productive uses.
For IT Security Officers
Pilot the software installed base to converge to a security standard acceptable to the organization.
Prepare your enterprise for the coming GDPR and help your DPO keep his register of data processing, because you two will become close colleagues.
No longer tolerate machines operating in Administrator mode.
No longer tolerate users downloading and running software binaries from their home directory.
Start applying SRPs, also known as Applocker or WDAC to improve application level IT security.
Reduce the level of exposure to software vulnerabilities and lateral movement attacks.
Bring up audit indicators for a better knowledge of the state of installed IT devices and their global security level.
Have installed software configured to work well in the context of your Organization and trust that they will work correctly.
Give Users more autonomy to install software safely and reliably.
Have better working and more predictable professional systems because of standard software configurations.
- Introduction to WAPT
- Fundamental principles
- WAPT mode of operation
- WAPT Server architecture
- WAPT language and development environment
- Comparing features between the WAPT versions
- Installation requirements
- Tips before installing
- Installing WAPT Server on Debian
- Installing WAPT Server on Ubuntu
- Installing WAPT Server on CentOS7
- Installing WAPT Server on Windows
- The WAPT management console
- License activation
- Generating the Administrator’s certificate for signing WAPT packages
- Building the WAPT agent installer
- Configuring the WAPT agent with advanced options
- Configuring the WAPT console
- Configuring the WAPT Server
- Configuring WAPT repositories
- Enhancing the security of your WAPT setup
- Configuring the firewall on the WAPT Server
- Configuring kerberos authentication
- Activating the verification of the SSL / TLS certificate
- Configuring user authentication against Active Directory
- Configuring Client-Side Certificate Authentication
- Generating the Certificate Authority (CA)
- Deploying certificates of local IT admins on clients
- Configuring Access Control Lists
- Upgrade Community to Enterprise
- Upgrade Discovery to Enterprise
- Minor WAPT server update
- Upgrading WAPT on a from 2.0 to 2.1
- Upgrading WAPT on a from 1.8.2 to 2.1
- Upgrading WAPT on a from 1.8.2 to 2.0
- Upgrading WAPT on a from 1.6/1.7 to 1.8
- Upgrading WAPT from versions older than 1.6
- Deploying the WAPT agent
- Updating the WAPT agents
- Using the WAPT console
- Using the WAPT console advanced
- Using profile bundles in WAPT
- Using Organizational Unit packages in WAPT
- Using WAPT Windows Update Agent (WAPTWUA)
- Using the reporting functions in WAPT
- Connecting to the WAPT database using a PostgreSQL client
- Synchronizing WAPT inventories to GLPI
- Re-signing all host packages from the WAPT console
- Using WAPT Self-Service
- Using WAPTtray
- Using WAPTExit
- Manually triggering the execution of WAPTexit
- Triggering WAPTexit with a scheduled task
- Avoiding the cancellation of upgrades
- Increase the trigger time in waptexit
- Do not interrupt user activity
- Launching the installation of packages with a special level of priority
- Customizing WAPTexit
- Registering/ unregistering WAPTexit
- Using WAPT with the Command Line
- Package structure detailed
- Python 2 to Python 3
- Setting up your WAPT development and test environment
- Principles of creating package template from the WAPT console
- Presentation of PyScripter
- Packaging .msi packages (example)
- Packaging .exe packages (example)
- Packaging empty packages
- Building the package and sending it to the WAPT server
- Simple examples of commonly used setuphelper functions
- Manipulating registry keys
- Creating and destroying shortcuts
- Windows environment/ Software/ Services
- Using control file fields
- Managing a WAPT package with another WAPT package
- Improving my package
- Copying a file
- Uninstalling unwanted versions
- Improving setup.py to use variables
- Customizing the user environment
- Using the audit functions for compliance
- Updating automatically a software package
- Deploying a portable software with WAPT
- Packaging Windows Update .msu packages
- Packaging simple Linux packages
- Encrypting sensitive data contained in a WAPT package
- Using different IDEs for developing WAPT packages
- Configuring WAPT to use a custom editor
- Inventory tab
- Performing a global search on all hosts
- OU AD on WAPT
- Host inventory
- WAPT Packages tab
- Windows Update tab
- Source tab
- Reporting tab
- Secondary repos tab
- Frequent problems
- Resetting the WAPT Linux Server password
- I lost my WAPT private key
- My private key has been stolen
- My BIOS UUID bugs
- WAPTdeploy does not work
- Windows does not wait for the network to be up on startup
- WAPT Exit will not launch
- WAPTExit halts after 15 minutes and does not finish the installing the packages
- Error message when opening the WAPT console
- Problems with registering a host with WAPT
- Problems when enabling enable-check-certificate
- Problems when creating a package
- Frequent problems caused by Anti-Virus software
- EWaptBadControl: ‘utf8’ codec can’t decode byte
- I have a lot more hosts in the console than I have host packages on my server?
- I have an issue with my proxy - THttpClientSocket.SockRecv(1) read = 0
- Common mistakes
- Installing WAPT Server with Ansible